Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Chocolate Fudge Recipe


Chocolate Fudge
How I made my favorite holiday fudge recipe
gluten free and dairy free

For part of my gluten-free journey, I went dairy free to help the intestinal tract heal faster.

The official recommendation for all celiacs is to stay away from dairy products for the first 6 months, and then introduce those products one at a time, so you can watch how you react to each product.

Not everyone has to do this, but a lot of celiacs do have trouble with dairy products. 

This is because the enzymes needed to digest dairy are secreted by the tips of the villi. If those villi are blunted or totally destroyed, you won't digest dairy products very well.



I had to go without dairy for a total of 3 years before I could reintroduce it again without having problems.

Today, I believe this is because I was still getting glutened on a regular basis. In fact, lactose intolerance is one of the first signs I have that I am getting contaminated with gluten in some way. If I start having trouble with dairy, I start looking for the gluten offender in my life.

However, some individuals are allergic or sensitive to casein, the protein molecule in dairy products. These individuals have to stay dairy free for life.

Pinterest Image: Chocolate being melted in a bowl.

Best Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Recipe for Fudge


If you're reacting to dairy, one of the biggest problems you have at this time of the year is how to recreate your Christmas goodies to be both gluten free and dairy free, especially if you're craving a good tasting, creamy chocolate fudge.

Fudge is a holiday tradition that I didn't really want to give up, so I was grateful that I was able to come up with a recipe for holiday fudge that didn't use dairy products at all.

I don't remember where I got the original recipe from. I tried to find it again online, but it was so many years ago, that I didn't have any luck tracking it down.


I just know that the following dairy-free recipe for chocolate fudge helped me get through the holidays when I was dairy free and that I continued to make it this way for a very long time even after I went back to using dairy products because it's an extraordinarily good fudge.

Loaded with chopped pecans, rich vanilla, and creamy dark chocolate, this gluten-free dairy-free fudge is quick-and-easy to make and tastes better than my old fudge recipe that uses sweetened condensed milk and milk chocolate chips.

The powdered sugar can be any type of powdered sugar you like. When I first made this, I was also corn free, so I used the organic powdered sugar by Wholesome Sweeteners because it didn’t contain cornstarch.

Later on, I switched to using pure-cane powdered sugar and that worked just fine, so you can use any brand of powdered sugar you like in this.

Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Chocolate Fudge

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips 
  • 6 cups powdered sugar 
  • 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine 
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla 
  • 2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts 
Line a 9x13 pan with non-stick foil, and set aside. It will be easier to get the fudge out of the pan if you cut it so that the foil hangs over the edges of the pan on at least two sides.

Since you’re not baking the fudge, it doesn’t matter if the pan is glass or metal. I used glass because that’s what I had.

Combine the chocolate chips and powdered sugar in a medium-sized bowl, and set that aside. It doesn’t have to be evenly distributed. Just give it a good stir.

Place the dairy-free margarine and coconut milk in a large saucepan. Turn the heat to medium and stir the two together. Continue stirring over medium heat until the margarine melts and bubbles just begin to appear and break on the surface of the milk.

I used to live at a very high altitude when I first made this, about 5,800 feet, so if you’re closer to sea level, you might want to do this over a much lower heat, so the milk doesn’t burn.

You might even be able to do this in the microwave because you just want the milk mixture hot enough to melt the chocolate chips.

Remove the milk from the stove and quickly dump the chocolate chips into the pan. Let this sit for a couple of minutes, without stirring, so that the chocolate chips soften and begin to melt. Then stir vigorously to blend all of the ingredients together.

Add vanilla and fold in the nuts.

Working quickly, pile the fudge into the lined pan and spread the mixture out, smoothing it as much as possible.

For a festive look, you can arrange pecan halves across the top.

Place the pan in the refrigerator, chilling the fudge completely before you try and cut it into squares. However, if you leave the fudge too long in the refrigerator, you might need to allow it to warm up slightly at room temperature before you'll be able to cut it.

Vickie Ewell Bio

Comments